Re: [Fwd: Wireless Question]

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 22:17, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
<Snip all>

> Donald, could I ask you two slightly OT questions?  I'm interested in
> getting a wirelss card and obviously yours works so:
> 1. what brand is it?

It's an Intel AnyPoint Wireless II that uses the orinoco_cs driver. I
don't think Intel makes it anymore. However, most consumer grade cards
(by SMC, Intel, NetGear, Linksys, Orinoco, etc.) should work just fine.
You may have to put an entry for the card in /etc/pcmcia/config for it
to get recognised, but once recognised, you can configure easily with
neat.

> 2. is it possible to make it use 40/64 bit WEP instead of the 128?

Sure, just specify in neat that you want to use 64 bit WEP rather than
128 and enter the key. Curious as to why you'd use 64 instead of 128.
One bad thing about WEP - on my machines, 128 bit WEP cuts throughput
about 1/3. Not really a big deal, but it is something to consider.

Don