Re: i386 kernel not included?

Basically, there is some back end scripting going on that has to be
modified/killed. Prior to my doing the Hardware Compatibility List, it
was written to automatically pull forward all hardware marked
"Compatible" without my knowing (I'm assuming this is so there's never
an empty list). That was why you found the 80386 and friends marked
"Compatible" for 8.0. If there are other inaccuracies, please report
them as well. I'm having a hard enough time getting new items added,
there's no time for me to go over the old stuff with a fine toothed
comb.

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 14:08, Petr Soucek wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 10:48, Mike A. Harris wrote::
>
> > i386 and i486 class hardware hasn't been supported in
> > Red Hat Linux since Red Hat Linux 7.0 or 6.2 (I don't recall
> > specifically off the top of my head).  An i386 kernel has been
> > supplied, but for reasons other than supporting i386.
>
> It seems there is some confusion in Hardware compatibility list, all
> distributions upto 8.0 were marked as "Compatible" for 80386, 80486
> and 5x86 processors. For RHL 8.0 I asked maintainer to mark these
> processors as "Not supported" and he changed it, but all previous
> releases are still marked as compatible, e.g.:
> http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=3399
> http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=2869
> etc....

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606