Re: Zip 100MB Parallel Disk Drive

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:34:54PM +1000, John BouAntoun wrote:
> Can anyone please point me in the right direction to where I can find
> info on how to install my IOMEGA Zip 100MB Parallel Port Drive.
>
> My Google searches seem to have been fruitless. Is there anything I need
> to do specific to psyche to get this to work?
>
> And while you guys are at it, some links to rh 8.0 specific instructions
> on how to get a mmpe pptp vpn client (i.e. a Microsoft served vpn
> network client) would be real helpful too.
>
> Thanks Guys,
>
> John

Regarding the ZIP drive:

1) Plug it into the parallel port
2) Put a disk in the drive.
3) Load the modules it needs. (Try 'modprobe ppa' - that should load
the correct module for the original 100MB zip drive. If that doesn't
work, try 'modprobe imm' - for newer drives)
4) You will know if it works because you will see an informative
message on your console.
5) The tricky bit now is figuring out what device you need to use.
The parallel zip drives use a scsi driver, so if you haven't any
real scsi drives on your system, the parallel port zip drive is
probably '/dev/sda'. I suggest you start with /dev/sda4 since that
is the usual device. If that doesn't work, you could try using fdisk
to open /dev/sda and see what partitions exist on the disk.

--
Jim Kaufman		mailto:jmk@linuxforbusiness.net
Linux Evangelist	cell: 612-481-9778