Re: Redhat 8 missing smp-kernel as stated by a bugzilla op, but aguy says something else?

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:27, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:00:17 -0500
> "Nathan" <tron@ircd-net.org> wrote:
>
> #
> # There are three CDs and there sure should be some small
> # space left to put the i586 RPM build of the smp kernel on there.
>
> NO, there isn't.  If you look at the size of each of the CD's, there
> is not 10 continues megs worth of space left, also not enough to
> include the corresponding .src.rpm.  Perhaps what you really should
> do, instead of shouting about poor service, and poor products, is call
> Red Hat and discuss getting a resolution as to why you think your
> hardware needs the SMP kernel, even though you only have one
> processor.  This sounds like the logical solution, but I may be
> expecting too much out of you.

There may be a solution to this problem we've overlooked. In the "old
days" Red Hat Linux was distributed on one installation CD and one
sources CD. There were also separate Applications and Power Tools CDs. I
think it may be time to go back to a similar plan. As core system files
get larger and more numerous, they have to compete with applications
like OpenOffice.org for CD space. Something has *got* to give.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL