Re: Error during named restart (bug in named or "service")

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 17:37, Alessandro Polverini wrote:
> Hello,
> I noticed a strange behaviour while restarting named.
> When it works I get:
> ---
> [root@xxx root]# service named restart
> Stopping named:
> Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]
> ---
> As you can see the [OK] is missing on the stopping procedure.
> But sometimes instead it happens that:
> ---
> [root@xxx root]# service named restart
> Stopping named:
> named: already running[root@xxx root]#
> ---
> and if I do it again:
> ---
> [root@xxx root]# service named restart
> Stopping named: rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]
> ---
>
> So what it seems is that the first time the command "thinks" that named
> is running, while in reality it's not, and I have to run it again.
>
> That behaviour never showed on redhat 7.2 and 7.3.
>
> Can anybody confirm that?

Looks to me that named doesn't successfully shutdown by the time that
'service' tries to start it. As soon as the shutdown is completed, the
second call the restart has an error because now ndc is no longer
running.

Whatever the reason, this shouldn't be happening.
Have you done a "tail -f /var/log/messages" and then the "service named
restart" ?