Re: how perserve uid/gid/perms when accessing another RH server viaSamba?

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 13:03, Randall J. Parr wrote:
>  From an RH8 server, I am accessing an RH73 server using Samba.
>
> I have Samba configured on both servers and have no problem accessing
> the servers from each other and from W2K systems.
>
> BUT when, from (for example) the RH8 server, I copy files from a Samba
> mount of the RH73 server I loose the uid/gid/perms.
>
> Can anyone point me at a way to configure the Samba server and/or client
> so that uid/gid/perms are preserved when performing such a copy?

For starters, as others have said, using NFS is the 'normal' UNIX <->
UNIX file sharing method.

But what you want should work as well.

Whenever you have a collection of UNIX boxes with the same set of
accounts, it is VERY IMPORTANT (for sanity, and non-confusion) that they
UIDs/GIDs are the same across the boxes.  This can be accomplished with
NIS or LDAP, or simply by hand using useradd and the '-u' parameter.

In short, make sure the uids and gids for all the accounts are the same
across the different machines.

You should also be aware of the account mappings work.

When you login to samba, you login with a specific samba user account,
THAT account is then mapped back to specific Unix user account (normally
a 1:1 mapping based on account name). Unless you are using 'force
user/group' option on the samba share, any files created will be owned
by that Unix user.

So assuming you have two boxes, BoxA and BoxB. They have the same set of
accounts with the same UIDs, etc.  When you login to BoxA with user
'bob', and then login, via samba to BoxB as 'bob' and copy files, they
should be owned by user 'bob' on BoxB.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs