Re: junkbuster vs. privoxy

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 04:46:18PM -0500, Daniel Liston wrote:
> I have been using junkbuster for a few years, and notice privoxy is
> installed by default in RedHat 8.0.  From reading the privoxy man
> page(s), I see that it is based on junkbuster.  Is there a reason
> I would want to start using this instead of junkbuster?

The last ever release of Junkbuster was 1998 (!).

Privoxy has many more features, including support (partial) for
http/1.1 and other new fangled ideas. The page filtering stuff is just
too cool. For instance, to get rid of those annoying 'Sponsored Links'
that dynamcially get inserted on some google searches (on right side
of page):

 s@<table .*See your message here.*</table>@<!--haha-->@

You just can't do that stuff with Junkbuster.

Prefer arial to helvetica fonts?

 s@(<?font.*( face|-family)(=|:) *"?)helvetica@$1arial@ig

Nothing to do with ads, but fun nonetheless :)

Demoronizer:

  s/(&\#[0-2]\d\d)\s/$1; /g
  # Must come before x94 below.
  s/\xE2\x80\x94/ -- /g