fonts dont show in open offc or mozilla

I've installed my true type fonts in /usr/share/fonts/local installed them
as indicated in the Release notes.  They appear in all the desktop
applications, but do not appear in the font selection lists in open
office or mozilla or galeon.  I can't find an answer to this problem in
the documentation disk.  Is there a solution to this?

Another issue is font quality in general .. it's not as good in psyche as
it was in valhalla .. same fonts, same hardware, just not as sharp ..
even tried the anti-aliasing feature .. is there a specific reason for
this?  Any workaround?