Re: new kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0 RPM damages lilo.conf file

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: new kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0 RPM damages lilo.conf file

> dude
>
> you NEVER update kernel with rpm -U
>
> you ALWAYS must use rpm -i
>
> wasn't a bug at all.

Yes it WAS a bug.  It is *suppose* to update lilo or grub when installing OR
upgrading the kernel.  Using up2date just does it auto for you, but it
should still do the same thing as it's still using rpm to install it.

Upon saying that, when I upgrade kernels manually via download and install
via rpm, I always upgrade and never install.  I just happen to always check
/boot dir, rpm -qa | grep kernel, and the grub.conf file *just* to make sure
everything was updated correctly before I rebooted.  But, since using grub,
I have never had to make any extra changes to anything, whether using
up2date or manually via rpm, as it installed/upgraded with no problems.

Oh, before anyone tries to flame me, *I* own my system, I know what's on it,
what it takes to configure it, and the consequences by upgrading and not
installing and testing first.  That is my choice and I know the deal, so NO
flames here LOL.

Anyway, doesn't matter if installed or upgraded, it should still update lilo
or grub anyway.

Mike