Re: General questions

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 13:53, Justin Georgeson wrote:
> Is there a way to make the desktop icons smaller?

I'm not sure about doing a global change, but you can right-click on any
desktop icon and choose "Stretch Icon" and scale them that way. Some of
the icons do come in various sizes, so you could look through the
pixmaps and theme folders for scaled versions of particular icons.

> How do I tell Gnome to use a different window manager? I have nothing
> against Metacity, but there are too many options I don't know how to
> change.

Check the list archives for messages from Havoc Pennington in regards to
Metacity features.

To switch to sawfish, this is from an earlier message on this list:
"First, install sawfish.   Then, open the gnome-session-properties
program (Extras->Preferences->Session) and change metacity from respawn
to normal.  Finally open a terminal and do this:
killall metacity ; (sawfish&)&"

<snip>

> Finally how does one edit the gdm themes? Or where would I go to
> download new ones?

Some good sources: themedepot.org and art.gnome.org. Use System
Settings->Login Screen->Graphical Greeter to install and configure
themes.