Crashing with video drivers on dell inspiron 2650

Hi,
I have installed RH 8 over a RH 7.3/Ximian install
When I use the standard VGA driver for Xwindows, everything seems to
work (mostly that is, I have some small problems thx to my older
configuration;-)

When I install the nvidia drivers for this notebook, after a few minutes
the system hangs / crashes (i can reach it for a little while using ssh
from antoher system) and X give a load of 4-5 on my CPU. Killing the X
process doesn't work, the system hangs itself then
Has someone experienced thes problems also?

Greetz
Hans