Re: Recommended Configuration for PCMCIA Wireless Cards?

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Rob Thorne wrote:
>

>This sounds like it ought to be in Bugzilla.

Tech support thought so too.  I've entered it as #76199.

>  OTOH, if you had the
>wireless-tools RPM in place before the upgrade, it probably would have
>been upgraded and we'd all be none the wiser.

True.  But many people need to rebuild the pcmcia-cs package manually,
and frequently need to update wireless tools as well.  When you do so,
they install into /usr/local by default.

>>2) The location of iwconfig is *hardwired*.  Not so good.
>>

>Not so bad.  If the dependency is satisfied, then iwconfig is guaranteed
>to be in the right place.  This is how RPM systems ought to work, I think.

It's a little tricky to do this with RPM, since it isn't clear which
package should not install if wireless-tools isn't present.   Arguably,
"neat", the network config tool, should check for iwconfig, and give
some feedback to indicate that wireless is not supported, and why.

>>My system had a version of iwconfig in /usr/local/bin.  Once I made a
>>symlink to /usr/local/bin/iwconfig at /sbin/iwconfig, the wireless card
>>comes up automagically, as it should.
>>

>How did iwconfig get into /usr/local/bin?  If you had the wireless-tools
>RPM it should be in the right place.

Again, if you build from source (and many people have to), it will be in
/usr/local unless you specially tweak the location with "configure".

Adding a check for iwconfig under /usr/local would be pretty easy to do,
and would cover this case.

--
Rob Thorne
Chief Technical Officer