Re: Is Redhat's postman asleep?

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:23:27 +0100 (BST), M A Young wrote:

> > >  This may mean the last mail server your mail passes through
> > >  before it
> > > tries to get to a redhat server is unregistered, or is registered
> > > in some way that upsets the redhat server. It would be useful to
> > > see the headers on the bounced message and especially the
> > > "Received:" ones.
> >
> > No, it's a get-host-by-name lookup as demonstrated in my message
> > from "Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:06:46 +0200" (Message-Id:
> > <20021016130646.0b863573.rh0210ms@arcor.de> ).
>
>  I agree having seen that message that my suspicions were wrong, but
>  if I
> understand your conclusion correctly; that dsl.pipex.com should have
> an A record as well as an MX record, then I disagree, because it would
> mean that I would be unable to post to this list, and clearly I can.

Well, I didn't say that. For receiving mail it needs either an A
record _or_ an MX record. When it has no A record, it can receive
mail only if it has an MX record.

We (erhm, *I*) don't know what the true reason is for mx1.redhat.com
to reject mail from @dsl.pipex.com. I can only verify that it
doesn't like sender addresses @dsl.pipex.com _and_ that it decides
to reject mail from @dsl.pipex.com based on either a DNS lookup or a
blacklist.

$ telnet mx1.redhat.com smtp
[...]
250 2.1.0 m.a.young@durham.ac.uk... Sender ok
quit

Hmmm, I see. But you have plenty of relay hosts between you and
mx1.redhat.com. Maybe that makes a difference.

We should really see what postmaster@redhat.com has to say about
this...