Missing RPMs from install

Hi,

Hopefully a simple problem :)

After installing RH8.0 (clean installation) I've noticed that some RPMs
are missing even though rpm --query tells me that they're there.

ie. I ticked VNC in the installation menu, and I saw it get installed
from the CD during the initial install, but when I went to actually use
it, the command wasnt found.

I had to issue the -Uvh --force options to rpm when I reinstalled it and
when that happened the command suddenly appeared :)

At first I thought it was just me being stoopid :) but then when I tried
to use xscreensaver I noticed that I couldnt unlock the display with my
password .. turns out that there wasnt a PAM file in /etc/pam.d/ for
xscreensaver; forcibly reinstalled the RPM and voila! it appeared.

Tried to run Gimp .. no menu entry even though I asked for the rpm to be
installed, and rpm --query gimp returned that it was installed. 'gimp'
from the command line returned a command not found. Again, reinstalled
the rpm's forcibly, and it worked (although, there still isnt an icon
:/)

Anyone else noticed these things too?