Re: Problem compiling modules?

>> make xconfig and turn off lots of modules I wont use, like the ISDN,

I would recommend using make menuconfig.  I started with a fresh RedHat 8.0
config file from the configs directory.  I think I used
kernel-2.4.18-i686.config and I copied it to the .config file.  Next I ran
make menuconfig.  Saved away autoconf.h (the file that REALLY matters).
Then I did a make mrproper and repeated the process two more times, once for
make xconfig, and once for make oldconfig.

Both xconfig and oldconfig produce different autoconf.h results than
menuconfig.  I think menuconfig is the most up-to-date script, and is
possibly most widely used, therefore, it stands to reason that it is the
most accurate kernel module selection tool.  The big differences between all
3 resulting autoconf.h files is that menuconfig correctly issues "#define
CONFIG_something_MODULE 1" instead of the deprecated "#define
CONFIG_something".  This tends to be different on kernel items that can only
be a module or nothing (that is, not supported directly in the kernel).

That being said, oldconfig and xconfig probably work ok, but they're more
likely (at least from my limited observations) to add a kernel item to the
kernel itself INSTEAD of making the module.  I tested this with
CONFIG_SENSORS, and it appears that possibly even RedHat got it wrong, as
there is no sensors module in the retail build, but it DOES appear as a
module if you use their config file and use menuconfig.

Perhaps someone with more kernel tools/scripting experience can determine if
this is a problem or if I've missed something.

BB.