Re: server installation

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 11:49, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> > 3. My machines are dedicated servers providing at most 2 types of
> > services (in any combination).  It has no shell access except for the
> > sysadmin account.  Only 2 consoles are active.  Remote access is via
> > ssh only with rootlogin denied.  Can I compile the kernel on another
> > machine and just transfer it (together with System.map, vmlinuz, and
> > modules of course)?  This would aid in preventing me from having to
> > install kernel sources to all machines (we do compile/dev work on
> > another machine and just transfer binaries to the end server; we
> > prefer stripping anything unneeded from the machine -- talk about
> > extreme paranoia -- but we are waaaay too new to linux to go with
> > Linux from scratch).
>
> 	I've done this before.  Just make sure that the compiled kernel is a
> match for the HW you're moving it to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not possible to do the 'make config'
step on the machine you are building the kernel for, then move the
.config to your build directory on the build machine.  (Then follow the
rest of the steps on the build machine.)

I'm sure I've done this when building a kernel for my 486, using my
P3-800 for sanity's sake.

-Ryan