Re: stickers in box?

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:45:15 +1000 (EST), Andrew Smith wrote:
>

>>Hmmm, yeah if you remember the discussion regarding the naming of
>>the RULE project ... I liked smallcap since it is a cut down redhat,
>>redhat people strongly suggested their lawyers wouldn't like that ...
>>then you will probably hear from someone from redhat very soon.
>>Be prepared to be required to destroy them all.
>

> Ever heard of "green shoe Linux" 8.0?
>
>   http://www.liniso.de/shop.php?artikel=74#74
>
> That's what can happen to you when they get active in trademark
> infringement matters. You might want to design "green shoe" stickers
> early enough. ;)

You guys are starting to scare me. I made the reference to the lawyers
in jest. I think for there to be actual infringement, I need to have
profited from using the trademark or at least prevented RedHat from
making some money, which arguably was the case in both examples you cite
above. As RedHat doesn't offer case badges (stickers are nice, but
rather cheesy), and as I am not selling them, I don't see where the
financial harm enters the picture.

I suppose a more interesting question to me is what would happen to the
company who produced them (whom, you'll notice, I have not named). I
would personally feel very badly that if by making these for me they got
in trouble, and yet I took some small comfort in the fact that since
they took the job, they must have felt that there was an insignificant
chance that they would be sued for making them. Of cource, they probably
didn't count on their customer getting on a RedHat mailing list and
bragging about how cool they looked...

If RedHat would go after me for making the case badges, it would set up
an interesting precendent for how people can use the red hat icon that
they are now using as part of the Bluecurve icon set (which I also love
and will probably eventually lift and put on my 7.3 box). If *that*
image were free to be used in non-infringing ways, then I could just use
that one in some badges.

Everything else aside, when I posted to the list, I was prepared to
destroy them if someone from RedHat asked me to. I respect what they've
done for me too much to treat them otherwise. It was a love for the
distro that caused me to get them made in the first place.

dk

--
David "Dunkirk" Krider
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

enterprise 2.4.18-10smp #1 SMP Wed Aug 7 09:36:38 EDT 2002
   6:10am  up  8:06,  0 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.03
Linux: Will you use the power for good... or for AWESOME?