Re: What's the deal with nVidia cards on install?

David Krider writes:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
> >
> > If the card isn't supported or not detected correctly, it defaults to the
> > vesa driver to at least help you get a running system.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> 1) Again, it correctly told me that the cards were generic nVidia
> GeForce 4 and GeForce 2 cards, respectively.
>
> 2) Using the VESA driver DID NOT WORK. I had to change the driver to
> "nv" by hand at a command prompt.
>
> dk

I had a problem getting my nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 accepting valid
screen definitions. I had already downloaded and installed the drivers
(src rpms) and glx packages from nvidia.com. I finally got valid
screen definitions by using redhat-config-xfree86 going into advanced
and manually setting the DPI. I could only get 800x600 resolution
though. So I forced the nv_drv.o driver in the video card
designation. This caused a seg fault when loading the GLX. Reading the
output in /var/log/XFree86.0.log indicated that nv_drv.o did not
support the  GeForce 4. So I read through the sample XF86Config file
in /var/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0. This file specified I should be
using the nvidia_drv.o not the nv_drv.o so I converted the driver and
added the screen references specified in the sample XF86Config file and
bingo the server comes up fine. When I reentered redhat-config-xfree86
I know have resolution up 1600x1200 in 24 bit screen depth..

Now if I could only get my emu10k1 SB Live! card to work. But that is
another request.

Kevin Sullivan
kevins@nospam.pac-software.com
PAC Software Engineering, Inc.