Re: What's the deal with nVidia cards on install?

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 08:16, David Krider wrote:
> I have two dual Athlons with a GeForce 4 and a GeForce 2. On both of
> these machines, the installer correctly identified the video cards.
> However, when it came time to configure X during the installation, every
> resolution and color depth I tried would fail. I eventually just skipped
> it and moved on. When I got into the system for the first time, I
> noticed that the installer had put the `vesa' driver in the XFConfig
> file instead of the `nv' driver. What's up with that?

Easy. The "nv" driver doesn't work with all nVidia cards, and those that
are known to be problems, as well as those that just aren't known at
all, will use "vesa" by default.

Furthermore, I have found that "vesa" only works in certain combinations
of resolutions and color depths that are preprogrammed into the card's
video bios, and may not go beyond 1024x768x16bpp (although they should)
If you check /var/log/XFree86.X.log you will probably notice what the
card supports listed in there.

Chris Kloiber, RHCE                                  Red Hat,Inc.
Hardware Certification            aka                1801 Varsity Dr.
Enterprise Support             "WireHead"            Raleigh, NC 27606