RE: Pysche and DVD

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, MW Mike Weiner (5028) wrote:

> Adam -
>
> Thanks for answering, i have the following RPMS installed for ogle:
>
> ogle-0.8.5-ogle1
> ogle_gui-0.8.5-ogle1
> xvattr-1.3-ogle1
> libdvdread-0.9.3-ogle1
> libdvdcss01.2.2-fr1
>
> And i checked, and i have a symlink /dev/dvd --> /dev/hdc as a symlink to a
> symlink is a real nice performance hit, i didnt symlink dvd to cdrom since
> it was symlinked to hdc already. Not sure if thats the way it needs to be,
> but when i have a dvd in the drive, and start ogle, and do a file-open disk,
> it crashes the player complaining that libdvdread could not open device with
> libdvdcss, and libdvdread could not open /dev/dvd for reading.

for reference, here's *exactly* what i did.  this is for a dell inspiron
8100, with a combo DVD/CD-RW, which functions as both a CD-writer and
DVD player.

immediately after a full install of psyche, i noted that:

1) there is no /dev/dvd device file (more on this shortly)
2) /boot/grub/grub.conf contains the line
	kernel /vml...  root=LABEL=/ hdb=scsi

   and "cdrecord -scanbus" sees the drive nicely.

with this in mind, i installed (from psyche.freshrpms.net):

  alsa-lib		(required by ogle, at least on my system)
  libdvdcss		(for playing encrypted DVDs)
  libdvdread		(self-explanatory)
  ogle
  ogle_gui

note that installing ogle creates the symlink /dev/dvd (at least
it did on my system).

  at this point, i can run "ogle" or burn regular CDs with no more
configuration.  the only additional configuration is to enable DMA
on the DVD drive (for better playback), at least temporarily, with

  # hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdb

i can then make this permanent by adding the appropriate line to
the new file /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdb (or by adding an "options"
line to /etc/modules.conf -- i'm still waiting to hear why one
approach would be preferable over the other).

  and that's it.  i have CD writing and DVD playback capability,
so it's not clear why others are having such grief.

rday