Re: [luau] Help with Red Hat install of rwCdRom

On 12 Oct 2002 18:11:11 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> Can someone please help this person?
>
> On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 16:12, webmaster@hawaiidakine.com wrote:
> > Help.
> >
> > I have tried for 2 days now to figure out the install from two
> > how-to's for the new CDRW that I bought for use  on Red hat 7*.
> > (This box is 7.2 uptodate.)
> >
> > The OS on the box recognizes the Sony CDRW CRX195A1 just fine as an
> > IDE. But I can't install the Recording/Playback software into the
> > correct files.

Don't understand this.

> > Almost all of the files that are talked about in the 2 how to's I
> > found are not on the 7.2 installation I have on the box.
> >
> > Are these just bad how-to's? One I know now is too old for Red Hat
> > 6*. They both say
> > you must make the OS think the IDE CDROM RW is a SCSI.
> >
> > Ok.
> >
> > They all,talk about hd?=ide-scsi, but don't tell where in the tree
> > it is. Is it in /etc/grub or where?  Then it says to delete the
> > /dev/cdrom and replace it with cdr/cdrw but not where to put it.

hd?=ide-scsi is a kernel option to be appended to the boot loaders
kernel argument line.

> > It says under grub to add the line to  menu-lst for example.
> >
> > menu.lst isn't showing any where on the system

$ ll $(find /boot -name menu.lst)
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Oct 21  2001 /boot/grub/menu.lst -> ./grub.conf

It's just a soft-link to /boot/grub/grub.conf, provided that GRUB is
installed at all. If LILO is used instead of GRUB, well, the problem
is obvious, and /etc/lilo.conf must be edited instead (and LILO be
re-installed).

> > and neither are the
> > SCSI modules
> > for  srO, sr1 etc...

$ find /lib/modules -name sr\*
/lib/modules/2.4.18-10/kernel/drivers/scsi/sr_mod.o

$ find /lib/modules -name sg.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-10/kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.o

> >   Or the /dev  for the sr0, sr1 etc...

/dev/sg* and /dev/scd*

> > Can any body point me to a Red Hat how-to which shows where to place
> > these missing files in the directory tree?

Don't understand this.

> > It seems impossible to know where to add a missing file like
> > "menu.lst" on
> > a Red Hat system as they have changed the tree structure and startup
> > files several times
> > since 6.*. (One of the reasons I don't usually use Red hat any
> > more.)

Nonsense.

> > This box is for burning cd's only. So it has just the CDRW and a
> > sound card on it and an  HD for the OS and ISO files.
> >
> > Thanks for any help or suggestions to point to a good how-to.

What about Red Hat's manuals?