Re: Linux 8.0 personal or professional, What to buy?

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 17:45, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 17:07, Keith Winston wrote:
>
> > I'm curious, are there any more open source packages on the extra CD(s)?
> > Or are the additional packages all commercial software/demos?
>
> 	Heh, you know, I've been buying the Pro boxed set ever since RH started
> selling them.  (Been buying boxed sets since RH 2.1)  The funny thing I
> never seem to get around to looking at the extra CDs.  There's probably
> a ton of great stuff on them.  Maybe I'll look them over this weekend.
>
> --
> Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
> I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.

Buy the Pro boxed set if:
 - You want the extra support that's included
 - You want the distro on DVD
 - You want the sys admin CD
 - you want to (and can afford to) contribute a little more to the cause
Don't buy the Pro boxed set if:
 - You think they actually include the software that's listed on the
extras cd. All that's there is demo/crippleware, or software that takes
about 5 minutes to download from an online source.

My opinion is (FWIW) you get the most bang for your buck by buying the
Personal edition ($39.00USD + shipping) and a 1 year subscription to RHN
($60.00USD). YMMV

HTH,
stevep