Re: new sendmail configuration

Michael Schwendt <rh0210ms@arcor.de> replied:
> There is something wrong and that is the packages themselves use
> chkconfig to add/delete the S/K links to the script in /etc/init.d
	<clip>
> You can't do the same with your technique, since you would need to
> edit the xinetd config files in /etc/xinet.d manually _and_
> restart xinetd.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses about configurng
run-levels.  Boiled down, the argument comes to:

	-some users like to point in click
	-others like to use a tool like chkconfig
	-then users like me like to do things manually

The argument that I may forget to look in /etc/rc3.d for my modifications
does not really apply since that would be like Michael forgetting to use
chkconfig, or some user familiar with a gui-tool forgetting to use his/her
gui-tool.  What can be argued is for the new user that does not know that some
services rely on a daemon (ie: telnet), something like chkconfig is helpful.
In my opinion, my method still provides a much easier way of keeping track of
my modifications (some of the respondants seem to have confused keeping track
of a change with actually performing it).

So, thanks again for everyone's opinion on modifying run-level services, yet
noone has responded to the _meat_ of the post;  concerning the new sendmail
configuration file and the associated sm-client entry/smmsp user.  Responses
to that part of the post are still welcome.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Huckelba

Stata Corporation