longrun broken in RH8?

Is the longrun utility broken on RH8? It was working fine for
me on an RH73 installation on a Sony Vaio C1VE, now I find
after upgrading to RH8:

 > longrun: error reading /dev/cpu/0/cpuid: Invalid argument

I have tried both manually loading the msr and cpuid modules
and autoloading them with the appropriate alias in modules.conf,
the modules are definitely loaded but the error remains.

The entries in /dev/cpu/0/ seem to have correct permissions and cating
/dev/cpu/0/cpuid returns something, so the device appears to be there.

The (2.4.19) kernel was compiled as a Crusoe kernel,
but the error also happened with the generic install 2.4.18-14 kernel
and with a copy of longrun compiled from source rather than the included
copy from the kernel-utils package.

Incidentally, I had great trouble compiling the included 2.4.18-14 kernel,
even using the supplied config files (hence the 2.4.19 kernel)

Any advice appreciated.

Des Johnston