Re: Redhat 8 missing smp-kernel as stated by a bugzilla op, but a guy says something else?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:07:25 -0500
"Nathan" <tron@ircd-net.org> wrote:

#
# Talk about being jerked around, for one if the smp kernel is in
# indeed with the redhat 8 distr then why cannot the installer install
# the packages? If because it's a source RPM(since it appears so) then
# that is useless to me since as noted on the bugzilla report my linux
# machines will not boot linux up correctly using the non-smp kernel.
# So much for upgrading.....
#
# So what am I suppose to do? I am very clueless to this point since
# this is giving me such a freakin headache...

A) it is _not_ a source rpm, it is a binary kernel rpm.  B) the SMP
kernel is not installed unless a multiprocessor system is detected,
and by your system specs, your system is not a multi processor system.

Description from the SMP kernel rpm:

Description :
This package includes an SMP version of the Linux kernel. It is
required only on machines with two or more CPUs, although it should
work on single-CPU boxes.

There seems to be some very odd hardware issues that you have, that
only work with a SMP kernel.  Perhaps you and  the Red Hat kernel
maintainers can work together in figuring out this issue.  Did you
purchase Red Hat?  If so you do have a period of support with Red Hat,
and I suggest you use it.

--
Jesse Keating
j2Solutions.net