Re: SMP Kernel

On Thursday, October 11, 2002 Thom Paine wrote:
> This website that I get a newsletter from everyday has a user posting
> that there is no SMP kernel support in 8.0. He goes on to say that his
> hardware only works with the smp kernel.
>
> Can someone respond to this so I can post it on the site? It would be
> nice to clear this matter up for this guy and for RHL in general.
>
> the website to read it is
>
> http://penguinshell.lockergnome.com
>
> It's under the section of GnomeVOICE.

To: Tony
Subject: GnomeVOICE

Before handing you a towel to dry your foot after extracting it from your mouth,
I will first ask you the basis for your contention that Red Hat Linux 8.0 does
not support SMP. For example, what does your system respond with when you type:

$ uname -a

My dual Athlon MP 2100+ system responds with:

Linux lion 2.4.18-14smp #1 SMP Wed Sep 4 11:55:37 EDT 2002 i686 athlon i386
GNU/Linux

What does your /boot/grub/grub.conf file contain? Mine contains the following:

# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#         all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#         root (hd0,0)
#         kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#         initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
#
# Default boot kernel
default=2
#
# Seconds to wait before booting default
timeout=10
#
# Splash screen to display
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#
# Kernel 0
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14debug)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14debug ro root=LABEL=/ vga=794
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14debug.img
#
# Kernel 1
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ vga=794
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
# Kernel 2
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14smp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp ro root=LABEL=/ vga=794
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img
#
# end-of-file

I am successfully running Red Hat Linux 8.0 SMP kernels on two very different
SMP systems, one of which needs 'noapic' in the grub boot command line since
it's an ancient server whose BIOS is apparently broken with respect to APIC.

Now... you were saying?

--Doc Savage, RHCE
  Fairview Heights,
IL

This message was sent from Peaknet, Inc.
http://www.peaknet.net/