Re: Software RAID Syncing/Reconstruction/Recovery

--- "Robert L. Cochran" <cochranb@speakeasy.net>
wrote:
> Could the RAID array have started syncing according
> to some schedule
> that I'm unaware of?

The RAID array syncs itself when it becomes "dirty".
Meaning that data integrity is at risk for whatever
reason. Most likely, because your machine rebooted
itself uncleanly.

> Is it normal for software RAID to take the whole
> darn night to "sync"
> (reconstruct?) a disk array?

Yes, with large arrays, it often takes a long time to
rebuild the array. The larger the array the longer it
takes.

> I also got these kernel messages:
>
> Oct 10 16:40:15 bobcp4 kernel: hda: status error:
> status=0x58 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> Oct 10 16:40:15 bobcp4 kernel: hda: drive not ready
> for command
>
> And /proc/mdstat says:
>
> [root@bobcp4 root]# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> md1 : active raid1 hda2[0] hdc2[1]
>       115860416 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> md0 : active raid1 hda1[0] hdc1[1]
>       313152 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
> [root@bobcp4 root]#
>
> Do I have a problem with my drives based on the
> kernel messages? The
> mdstat messages?

Please also check out admin commands for managing
software RAIDs. Do : rpm -ql raidtools | more to see a
list of management tools for software based RAIDs.
cat()ing /proc/mdstat is useful, but I have a feeling
that administration tasks should be performed with
other UI's instead of echo()ing and cat()ing files,
even though ultimately this _may_ be what the utilies
are doing.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>