Re: Mildly pissed, was Re: Modem lights applet displays nothing....

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Gerry Tool wrote:

> Tony Nugent wrote:
>
> >(By all accounts, what redhat did with kde in 8.0 was butcher it.
> >I don't use kde, but I'm not suprised by all the problems.  Not a
> >good move imho).
> >
> KDE in Red Hat 8.0 is alive and well.  You might want to read:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1890&page=all
>
> and the reader comments at the end of the article.

I've read that, and I've read comments here from people who say "it
works/doesn't work for me."

The fact that:

- I've done a clean install, not an upgrade
- all my hardware was recognized (except my aureal-based sound card)
- the install apparently went perfectly (no explicit notifications of error)
- "it all worked in 7.3" (the last refuge of a scoundrel, I know)
- I've installed nothing from outside the CDs

leads me to suspect that there are bugs, or at least protein-laden
features.  Or that there are necessary setup steps, post-install, that
I'm not aware of (where necessary means "do this or you will crash").

--
Aaron
aaron@justaaron.com