Evolution Causes Spontaneous Reboots; RAID Activity?

Evolution evidently crashed my computer badly. After reading in a couple
hundred emails, I started deleting the spam mails by clicking the trash
can icon on each highlighted mail in the inbox viewer. Suddenly the
machine reboots entirely! Kapow! Perhaps it was some other running
process but I sure suspect Evolution. Perhaps it was also content in one
particular email interacting with Evolution, but I'm not sure.

My machine reboots...I start Evolution again...then everything freezes
up totally. The whole system locks up. I'm not sure what is going on so
I cut the power to the box to force a reboot. Maybe I should have tested
the reset button instead, I forgot all about it. The subsequent reboot
features a kernel panic that appears to have been caused by problems
with the software RAID. I had to reboot out of that.

I rebooted again, but the drive light is constantly on (for the last 90
minutes) and I notice a process named 'mdrecoveryd' running. The system
is almost unusuable. with 96-99% CPU use. md issued messages saying it
is syncing RAID array md1. What do I do, just let it sit and run?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA