Re: Performance difference 7.3 - 8.0?

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 11:02, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 17:54, Bernd Kunze wrote:
> > Well, that's why I was curious. 8.0 w/ gcc3 is supposed to generate
> > better code.
> > Ot it is just the deskop which is tricking me :-).
> >
> > Bernd
> > Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> > >That's kind of ironic, because I did a fresh install of Red Hat 8 (I was
> > >running Red Hat 7.3) and I noticed an increase of performance in a few
> > >areas, among them, under 7.3, almost every application opened really
> > >slow (I noticed this before I installed 8.0), but now, apps open up a
> > >lot quicker :)
> > >
> > >Steven P. Ulrick :)
> > >

> Could be the new kernel.  But not the compiler.  I benchmarked gcc 3.2
> against both the gcc 2.96 in 7.2 and 7.3 and while it came well ahead of
> the 7.2 edition it had only had an insignificant lead upon the gcc 2.96
> from 7.3.
>
> However if you have two partitions I suggest you run  benchmarks on
> both.   But keep in mind: partitions at the beginning of the disk are
> faster than partitions at the end, nearly full partitions are faster
> than half empty partitions and "old" partitions could have become
> fragmented and this is slow.
>
> 			JFM

Weird, I can't stand the performance of the new kernel. On my Cel 466,
512MB Ram box, fresh install of RH8 (because the upgrade flamed into
oblivion..), the performance of the new kernel is SO bad, I replaced it
with 2.4.9-34.

I've been using this same box, 10+hours a day since Redhat 6.2, so I
know how it should behave.

After booting psyche, and installing the mpg libraries, I found xmms
would stall and sputter whenever:
	Mail arrived,
	I moved or resized ANY window.
	I rolled the scroll wheel in mozilla, gvim, anything.
	The screen saver started.

Frankly, it just sucked. After installing 2.4.9-34 from the 7.2 errata,
the box is behaving just like it used to. Fast, and (apparently) stable.
(No crahses so far, uptime is 3 days)

--
Don