Re: Cannot connect to Internet with web browser using URL but canconnect using IP address -- SOLVED!

Mike Chambers wrote:

>> BFD wrote
 >>
>>Would anyone with RH8.0 take a moment and see if
>>etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default exists on their
>>system and what is in it, if anything.
>

> I have that dir but no files, guess mine are from /etc.  This was a clean
> install though.  Maybe upgrades are the case when your situation is used?
>
> Mike

See

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/valhalla-list/2002-July/008745.html:

Which states in part

    One point here: If you've used the `neat' tool
    (redhat-network-config) it will generate files under
    /etc/sysconfig/networking. They appear to be copies of
the basic networking files:

    find /etc/syconfig/networking:
    /etc/sysconfig/networking
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts
    /etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-lo

Someone on another list suggested that these were hard
links, but the ls command does not show this, although some
of them have the same inode number.

So that answers my question as to how they got there and why.

BFD