Re: features window managers should have

Ted Clark <bison@visi.com> writes:
>  From the above link:
>
> "Add some kind of mild "attraction" to window/screen edges, perhaps
> only after a timeout."
>
> There's difference between edge resistance and edge attraction (ie
> "magnatism").  In the first case the mouse has to be moved n pixels
> along a given axis when two windows touch before the window being
> moved starts moving again.  So in effect, you're "dropping" pixels, or
> whatever units are used to measure mouse movement on the display.
>
> In the second case, a window "jumps" up against another window when it
> gets n pixels away.  I personally like the former a lot, and really
> dislike the later.  This only serves to demonstrate that window manger
> writers can't make more than about 50% users happy on any given day..

When adding this feature I plan to experiment with magnetism,
attraction, and various thresholds and timeouts. I think it can be
made to work pretty well without being obtrusive. Suggestions on where
to start are welcome (on the bug report, ideally).

In the meantime there's a hidden "lock to edges" feature if you hold
down Shift that's nice for people who have really hard core
must-line-up-all-windows-pixel-perfect tendencies. ;-)

Havoc