Re: nautilus smb: browsing

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problem browsing my windows LAN with nautilus. When typing "smb:" in
> location bar, it lists computers on network, when I double click on
> computer, it asks for user name and password, then displays list of shares
> on the computer. But when I double click share name, it says I have no
> permission to access it. Security log on Win2k machine shows successful
> logon for the user, and then logon failure event for GUEST (guest is
> disabled on most machines). Did anyone manage to do it? Is there any options
> I have to configure? I can connect successfully to same computers with
> smbclient.

This is a known bug. It's because GUEST can log in, but has no permission
to read anything. This means Nautilus won't ask you for user/password, but
it can't browse files either.

> Also, when asking for user name and password it says it will be transmitted
> as clear text. Is there a way to change this?

I'm not sure it's actually sent in plain text.

                   alexl@redhat.com    alla@lysator.liu.se
He's a sword-wielding drug-addicted assassin who hangs with the wrong crowd.
She's a vivacious blonde queen of the dead with her own daytime radio talk
show. They fight crime!