newbie question upon LAN

Hi all
  I'm well experienced in Linux RedHat, but a newbie in network admin.

  I would set up a lan of 5 to 10 users, so I consider two ways for this:

  1)  Classic star topology lan with a computer with an ADSL connection,
and masquerading protocols for redirecting all input/ouput access to/from
the lan,

  2)  Same computer as before with an ADSL connection, but with a switch
connected to it, the clients hosts being connected to each of the switch
ports.

  The users of this lan are presumed to do a moderate to very moderate
Internet usage.

  First question: Does the first option seem to you suitable enough, in
terms of available bandwith for each user ?

  Second question: What is the suitable protocol for setting up the lan
in the case of the second option ? Is it either masquerading or other, or
is it sufficient to set up the private IP addresses, and the gateway for
each user ?

  Thank you very much for your help.

  Jean Francois Ortolo