Re: RH: Some user feedback

Jason Gilbert wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 08:39:40AM -0400, Sean Millichamp wrote:
>

>>For example:  If I have just Mozilla installed I see
>>Menu
>> + Internet
>>    + Web Browser
>>as it is now.  If I add Galeon then the menu appears as:
>>Menu
>> + Internet
>>    + Web Browser
>>       + Mozilla
>>       + Galeon
>>So if it had one option then this special submenu would know to subsume
>>it's content and if it had more then one it should show it as we have
>>come to expect in previous RH versions.
>>

>I like this idea the best with the slight addition that the name of the
>application should always be included when there's only one type of application
>and the icon on the menu must match the icon in the tasklist.  For example,
>"Mozilla Web Browser", "XMMS Audio Player".

I would add that there's an important legal/moral reason for choosing
this approach: free software authors have the right to have their
applications known by their proper names.  Some licenses may even
require this of distributors.  What that means is that calling something
"web browser" instead of "Mozilla" could be a license violation.  I
think this is a similar issue to the MP3/GPL patent incompatibility
deal, and should be addressed ASAP.

Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net