This is an administrative notice to the members of the list, that
this mailing list is now deprecated and will probably be disabled
at some point in the future.

The list was initially intended to provide a forum for users of
Red Hat Linux to discuss XFree86 related problems without having
to join one of the high volume OS specific lists, or the generic
redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxxx  It was also intended to enable myself to
keep track of XFree86 specific issues easier by monitoring a single
lower volume list, than to have to keep track of the large number
of high volume per-OS-release mailing lists we used to maintain
at Red Hat in the past.

In Fedora Core 2, we switched to X.Org X11 from XFree86, and we
have now released 2 Fedora Core releases with xorg-x11 as the
supported X11 implementation.  Additionally, Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4 ships xorg-x11 instead of XFree86.

Since our switch to X.Org X11 away from XFree86, the already
low volume on this mailing list has dropped quite a bit, which
I believe is indicative that while not all people upgrade to
each new OS release, the majority of people using our community
OS releases have upgraded to FC2 or later already, and seem to
participate in the various Fedora mailing lists we provide, as
well as the upstream xorg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.

For a while, I've debated wether or not it would be useful to
create a new mailing list named "x-list@xxxxxxxxxx" or something
similarly X11 implementation generic with which to replace this
list, however the volume on this list has dropped significantly,
and personally, I believe that the list has more or less outlived
its usefulness now, and there are superior public forums out
there nowadays for discussing XFree86 and Xorg X11 related
issues.  Everyone might as well just switch to the existing
public forums.

While this list will remain open for the time being, my plan
is to eventually decommission it sometime later this year, so
I wanted to give the subscribership a heads up, and provide
everyone with a list of alternative mailing lists which are
much more suitable, and more likely to yield better answers
to questions and technical problems:

There are a number of other X.Org related mailing lists which
are hosted at lists.x.org which may be useful as well.  XFree86.org
also hosts a number of other mailing lists related to its project,
and Red Hat provides a number of other Fedora Core related end user,
tester, and developer mailing lists which can be used to discuss
problems specific to using Fedora Core.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux customers using RHEL 2.1 or RHEL 3, can
contact Red Hat directly for technical support by logging into
the Red Hat support website at:  http://www.redhat.com/support
or by contacting support via telephone at 1-888-RED-HAT1.  The
above public support mailing lists may also be useful to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux customers.

I assume nobody here will really have any strong feelings one
way or another, as the list has been mostly dead for quite a
while now, however feel free to respond back to the list if
you have any thoughts about the above plan.

Thanks for reading this far.  ;o)

TTYL