setting up PseudoColor visual

Hi there,

Could anyone please give me some advice on setting the display to 8-bit PseudoColor (I'm trying to run a legacy program)? I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0 on a DELL Precision 450n workstation with DELL P1230 monitor and video card of 128MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000. Simply changing the "XF86Config" or using redhat-config-xfree86 doesn't work.. and if you know of any free software that provides PseudoColor overlay mode over TrueColor etc, would you please let me know also.. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Wen Bian
Center of Structural Biology
Vanderbilt University