Re: via cle266 and xv

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 14:40, Alex Deucher wrote:

> --- Bret Hughes <bhughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > tree
> > > >

> > > A download and build of the current 4.4 source works great!  I have
> > not
> > > even got to the unichrome source yet.  scaling of a small mpeg to
> > > 1024x768 with 11% processor usage.  Way cool.
> > >
> > > An interesting anomoly is that unclutter flickers the cursor if the
> > > window changes.  I did not see this in 4.3.  running sawfish
> > instead of
> > > no wm fixes that issue.
> > >
> > > Now for the real question.  How big a deal is it to build a rpm
> > package
> > > for the 4.4 code base?  I have never packaged something as large as
> > > XFree86 and really need this to be part of a kickstart
> > installation.
> > >
> > > I am downloading the 4.3 srpm now to take a look at it.
> > >
> > > Tips appreciated  and thanks for the pointer to 4.4
> > >

> > Man that is one scary specfile Mike, It looks like you earn your $.
> >
> > is there an easy way to build a binary tarball from the 4.4 tree I
> > built?  As an interim kickstart step I could untar the new binaries
> > over
> > the 4.3 install.
>
> take a look at the xc/config/cf/host.def
> there's an option you can use to specify a non-default installation
> directory.
> #define ProjectRoot /path/to/Your/XFree86/installation

Thanks.  THis pointed me in the right direction.  I looks like from the
README in config/cf that ProjectRoot will place the files differently on
the target machine and since some of these paths are hardcoded into the
binary that it would not do what I wanted.

I believe I resolved it using make DESTDIR=dir_for_binary_tree install
rather the original make install

I now have a handy dandy tree with all the installed files in it ready
to tar up.

Thank you. THank you Thank you.

Now if I can just find time to get my head around Mikes spec file I
could do this right.

Bret