Re: via cle266 and xv

--- Bret Hughes <bhughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to configure a fedora 1 machine to, among other things,
> use
> hardware decoding for mpegs. We use mplayer on ati and proSavage
> chipsets with no problem using -v0 xv flags to tell mplayer to use
> xvideo extensions.
>
> I have upgraded all packages to the latest released updates including
> :
>
> XFree86-4.3.0-55
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
>
> current device section in XF86Config after copious surfing:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "via"
>         VendorName  "VIA"
>         BoardName   "via driver supporting cle266"
>         VIdeoRam        32786
>         Option          "ActiveDevice" "CRT"
>         Option          "PciRetry" "true"
>
> EndSection
>

> xvinfo outputs a bunch of stuff so I assume that it is available
>
> I see the folowing lines in XFree86.0.log:Symbol REGION_EQUAL from
> module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o is unresolved!
> Symbol xf86XVCopyYUV12ToPacked from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o is unresolved!
>

> Could this be part of the problem?  Does not sound like it but hey,
> what
> do I know? ( not enough - by definition )
>
> mplayer plays using -vo x11 but is slow
>
> mplayer -vo xv crashes X altogether
>
> Any tips?  I found a thread about rawhide having updated XFree rpms
> but
> it did not sound like this was fixing anything like this so I have
> not
> tries it

I'm not sure what version of the via driver was included in fedora, but
the initial drop from via was pretty buggy.  the version in cvs and the
one here are substantially better.  also, if you are using a KM/N chip
Xv support was not added until recently.

See this page for more info and newer versions of the driver:
http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/

Alex