via cle266 and xv

I am trying to configure a fedora 1 machine to, among other things, use
hardware decoding for mpegs. We use mplayer on ati and proSavage
chipsets with no problem using -v0 xv flags to tell mplayer to use
xvideo extensions.

I have upgraded all packages to the latest released updates including :

XFree86-4.3.0-55
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl

current device section in XF86Config after copious surfing:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "via"
        VendorName  "VIA"
        BoardName   "via driver supporting cle266"
        VIdeoRam        32786
        Option          "ActiveDevice" "CRT"
        Option          "PciRetry" "true"

EndSection

xvinfo outputs a bunch of stuff so I assume that it is available

I see the folowing lines in XFree86.0.log:Symbol REGION_EQUAL from
module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o is unresolved!
Symbol xf86XVCopyYUV12ToPacked from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o is unresolved!

Could this be part of the problem?  Does not sound like it but hey, what
do I know? ( not enough - by definition )

mplayer plays using -vo x11 but is slow

mplayer -vo xv crashes X altogether

Any tips?  I found a thread about rawhide having updated XFree rpms but
it did not sound like this was fixing anything like this so I have not
tries it

TIA

Bret