Re: How to launch a second X server

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:37:01PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Guillaume Chazarain wrote:
> | If I launch this X server using "xinit -- :1" in a terminal from
> | a gnome environment brought by gdm,
>
> Since XSESSION and DISPLAY are set, I'm not surprized you have trouble
> starting a second Xserver for GNOME.
> Running two GNOME sessions at once is problematic.

Hm, interesting, I am doing that all the time for years now. :-)
Running from a console, not from a terminal emulator in already
running X session, 'startx -- :1 &' never gave me trouble.

Even simpler on a long run is to edit '[servers]' section in
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, with details you will find in comments,
and to add extra servers there.  Yes, you can run from gdm, say,
a gnome session on vt7 and a kde one on vt8 or whatever else you
desire.  Two different gnome sessions are also not a problem.

   Michal