Re: Running two X servers on one computer

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Tim Currie wrote:

>  I have an ATI FireGL X1 in my computer. I'd like to set up a
>second X server, with a separate keyboard and mouse (actually, I
>plan to use a KVM switch, but you get the point). The reason I
>want to do this is so that I can run "Return to Castle
>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" on one X server, and ssh to the
>game host on a nearby (but not nearby enough)  computer via the
>second X server (plus read my email, etc.).  CTRL-ALT-F<1..5>
>causes the X server to get all pissed off at me, so that's not
>an option.
>
>I think I can figure out getting a second X server running, but
>the mystery is this: first, how do I get the computer to realize
>that it has two USB keyboard and two USB mice, and second, how
>do I bind one set of input devices to each X server? I know this
>is possible, but I have no idea where to begin.

The short answer, is that this is not possible currently.  The
2.6.x kernel has the kernel side support to do things like this,
but I've no idea if anything is missing or not, and haven't heard
of anyone who has gotten it to work.

Other than that, someone made a very ugly hack a few years ago
for specific video hardware (obviously not FireGL X1), which
involved modifying the X server and/or video driver source code,
and also the kernel, and made a hodge-podge hack solution that
worked for them.  If you're using the FireGL X1 for 3D games,
then you're using proprietary drivers, and you don't have the
source code.

So this is not likely going to work at all, at least for the time
being.

--
Mike A. Harris