Re: ATI Radeon 9200 SE

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Gene C. wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:37:04 -0500
>From: Gene C. <czar@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: ATI Radeon 9200 SE
>
>On Monday 15 December 2003 08:37, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> So I'm not sure what your point is.  Who cares how many PCI IDs
>> there are?  I suppose if ATI and Nvidia didn't want to both be
>> #1, they could produce less products, sell less products, and
>> have a smaller need for PCI IDs, and thus make it easier to
>> update PCI ID lists.
>
>Only point I have is that it make things a bit more difficult for you and the
>other folks at Red Hat that have to deal with it.

If the alternative is that a hardware vendor doesn't release any
new products, then either:

1) No innovation occurs, and video hardware is not interesting
   anymore.

2) Some other competitor takes over the market instead.

3D video hardware is a highly competitive marketplace, and with
multiple companies competing tooth and nail to be #1, a lot of
innovation occurs, and frequent new products will be released in
order to try and out-do their competitors.

While this creates more work in the case of an XFree86 developer
and/or package maintainer, and is sometimes a bit tedious, if the
alternative is no new hardware features, I'll take the extra PCI
IDs.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris