lost .xsession and .xresources?

Hello,
I have a bit of a problem with my X login for Redhat. I re-installed Xfree86,
and somehow, I overwrote some important configuration files. I now have trouble
logging in and starting kde or gnome sessions. I cannot log in normally, by
simply selecting a session and logging in. I have to select failsafe, then
enter "startkde" or "gnome-session" on the failsafe terminal. I'm not sure
which files were altered or overwritten during the X installation, and no I did
not have backups <blushes from embarassment>. Also,
I have noticed a new process (or not new?) known as kalarmd that is always
trying to run the CPU at max load. This only started when I reinstalled X.

thanks,
sol