Re: Radeon 9000 & RH 9

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Nathanael Noblet wrote:

>I've been having some problems of late, and I am baffled as to
>their cause or possible solution. Here's what is going on.
>
>	RH 9 was installed on this machine pretty much as soon as it came out.
>It has worked well and flawlessly till yesterday. I went on vacation
>for a week. Came home and one roommate had left himself logged in
>probably the entire time I was gone (don't know if this is relevant). I
>logged him out and then attempted to login.

Roommates can have a devistating effect on wether one's computer
works or not, so people tell me.  In particular, problems can
arise on the computer which are just "magical" and have no
explanation, because of course - the roommate *NEVER* changes
anything.  Honest!

>I got a "session lasted 10 seconds" error, which I could login
>via failsafe. I had to do a couple of updates, one of which was
>the latest kernel upgrade. Figuring that updating and rebooting
>might get rid of whatever was causing my problems, I finished
>that and rebooted. Now X won't start at all. I can't even get
>redhat-config-xfree86 to work. Just doesn't want to work.
>
>The errors being produced at the moment are "No screens found" sort of.
>There is something wonky going on with the second head of this card,
>though I don't and have never used it. The exact error messages are
>thus:
>
>(WW) RADEON : No matching Device section fro instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
>found
>(EE) RADEON(0): No Monitor detected!!!
>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
>This is really frustrating. Any ideas or help would be appreciated,
>google is coming up short on this one for me, finding only people
>running RH 7.3 or 8.0 trying to get it to do 3d stuff etc...

For starters, I'd put your computer in a locked room with a BIOS
password next time you go away.  Aside from that, all I can
suggest, is to run:

Check for modified files:
rpm -Va > rpmverify.log

And regenerate a new X config from scratch:
redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

There is no logical explanation for why the problems you are
having would just occur all of a sudden for no reason without
interference from a user, or modification to the system.  The
system doesn't just randomly break on it's own for no reason.

--
Mike A. Harris