Administrivia

Due to the large volume of Microsoft email viruses spreading
across the Internet like wildfire via Microsoft Lookout(TM) et
al. and the equal amount of Antivirus autoresponder notification
to them, and then the equal amount of "I am on vacation"
autoresponses to both of those, and also the equal amount of
"Mail returned to sender, mailbox full, disk quota exceeded"
autoresponses to those from people who have had their email inbox
explode under pressure....

The admin queue for this list is saturated with tonnes of all of
the above.  I am not reading any of it, and am just hitting the
flusher.  Please remember that this list requires subscription to
post, and that all postings from non-subscribers are rejected.
People wanting to post need to go to the subscription page and
subscribe themselves first.

As an additional note, for those who post first and get a
response back saying that your posting has been held because
you're not a subscriber - who then go on to subscribe after that,
you should repost your first original email to the list that got
held for moderator approval.  The reason for this, is that I have
no easy way whatsoever of knowing that a non-subscriber posted a
message which got held, and then subscribed afterward.  As
such I just reject all such emails, because that is the least
amount of overhead involved.  The only way for me to be able to
know that someone has subscribed after an initial blocked post,
and then accept their posting knowing they did in fact subscribe,
would be to take each of the postings that come in that are held
for moderator approval and look up the sender in the subscription
list prior to approve/rejecting the postings.  The amount of
overhead this requires is far too great, and it is just as easy
for someone to resend their message.

If someone has been bitten by this, please forward them this
message, so they're aware that this is not a personal block of
their individual message, it is a policy that I auto-reject mail
from all non-subscribers due to the amount of personal volunteer
time overhead that it takes to do otherwise.

Off topic personal agenda:
Aside from all that, let me take a second to make a personal
request to anyone reading this:  Please disable antivirus
autoresponders.  They do not do anything really useful.  All they
do, is double the amount of email that floods mail servers around
the world whenever there is virus activity.  They act as a
massive denial of service amplifier, and when combined with "I am
on vacation" autoresponders, they work together as a 3 way team
to put a huge smile on the face of email virus authors around the
world, who know that their viruses can always trust sysadmins
everywhere to double or triple the denial of service attack via
"done in good faith" autoresponders.

;o)

No responses needed or expected.  Thanks for reading.