Re: New ProSavage VIA KN/M266 Chipset Drivers with 3D/OpenGL/DRISupport ?!

Simon Clift wrote:
To make a long story short, the driver seems to want XFree
4.2.0, not 4.3.0 and as much as I hacked away at it, I
couldn't get the darn thing to compile.  I just don't know
enough about the XFree source code to be useful, so I have
leave it to the experts.  Sorry, I gave it a shot.

Building X drivers withouth following the full X build is nearly impossible. First I'd make a working patch to, properly add the new driver, and remove the old. Then add that patch to the the SRPM and apply it in the spec file. Rebuild the RPM from that, or at least through the install stage (rpmbuild -bi).

Then you can get the new driver to go in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and modules/dri.

Now you need to get the kernel modules to build.
It might be easier to develop a kernel patch and build a new kernel (with rpm again) to support this driver.

-Thomas