Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:20:23AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> MAH> In the land of the GUI, I subscribe to Havoc's mission on
> MAH> simplicity in UIs,
> MAH> All modern hardware detects video ram properly.
>
> I wasn't aware that a TNT2 was a ten year old card.

Actually you have seen here a vivid example of this "Havoc's
principle" in action which cleary is "Screw a significant percentage
of users in a hope that the remainder would not mind".  Somebody
decided to add this videoram setting to config files
unconditionally.  Personally it did not affect me in a major way (it
was a minor PITA on occasions but not a show stopper) but some
people wasted significant time and effort trying to find what the
problem is.  A few persistent ones, hanging on that list, found a
solution.  A vast majority of those hit undobtely said: "Forget it.
This thing is broken and lets find something else." and in a sense
they were right.

An old principle says "Things should be as simple as possible but
NOT simpler".

  Michal