Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On 4 Jun 2003, John MacLean wrote:

>Date: 04 Jun 2003 18:37:57 -0400
>From: John MacLean <john.d.maclean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9
>
>On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 15:18, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>> >
>> > Just a suggestion for users out there, you really don't need to specify
>> > videoram for any of the drivers as a general rule.  the memory
>> > detection routines, in my experience, work about 99.999% of the time.
>>
>> I had an impression, although I did not check that very thorougly,
>> that latest configuration tools from Red Hat do put this 'videoram'
>> line in a configuration; and I do not think that there are any
>> attempts of a verification of what user provided, which may be
>> wrong, or an option "try to guess for me".
>>
>>   Michal
>>

>Yes, the Red Hat tools did put this line in the my XF86Config. No harm
>having it when configuring a single monitor - which is all the tools
>support.

The VideoRAM section should never be put there by our config
tools IMHO.  I've just made a request that the tools not allow
configuration of videoram size.  All modern hardware detects
video ram properly.  Those using ancient 10 year old cards that
have broken detection can hand edit the config file to work
around the hardware or driver bugs IMHO, as cluttering up the GUI
tool with stuff for 0.00001% of users out there just makes it
more confusing and increases problems for people, as well as
increasing technical support costs.

In the land of the GUI, I subscribe to Havoc's mission on
simplicity in UIs, about 90%.  This one is part of the 90%.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris