SavageDDR > 640x480

Hey there -- I've got a brand spanking new machine which I can't seem to
get to display any resolution greater than 640x480.  I'm looking to figure
out if it's a futile effort to try to improve that, since it feels like
once I've gotten it working at all, it should be able to do better than
that...

Hardware: Shuttle's SK41G.

 The docs record the video chip as a "ProSavage 8", lspci reports it as
     VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. [ProSavageDDR K4M266]
     and the chip id as 8d04

Tim's Savage page (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html) lists the
ProSavageDDR with that same chip ID, so unless there's something very odd
going on, I'm assuming that's what I've got.

The most recent driver on that page is 1.1.27t, and since the version that
ships with RedHat 9 is (version 1.1.27mh), I'm assuming that it's current.
(also that mh stands for Mike Harris, but that's a guess.  :)

While the magic X configuration steps during RH9 installation produced a
totally unworkable XF86Config (X would come up, but only at bizarro
frequency ranges that two different multisync monitors couldn't handle),
running X -configure produced a config that let me bring up X at 640x480...
but no more than that, despite my adding .

My Modes lines look like so:  "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
and if I remove the 640x480 option, X fails on startup, logging like so:

    (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
    (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using mode "1024x768" (no mode of this name)
    (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using mode "800x600" (no mode of this name)
    (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (width too large for virtual size)
    (II) SAVAGE(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (width too large for virtual size)
    (EE) SAVAGE(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 128)
    (EE) SAVAGE(0): xf86ValidateModes failure

So at long last, my question, boiled down -- does this look like I've
mangled my XF86Config, or am I running into the limitations of this driver
and hardware combination?

Adam

--
I have decided to stick with love.  Hate is too great a burden to bear.
                                                  -- Martin Luther King, Jr.